Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chapter 14

I sat on the bed I hadn’t slept in in five years. I just stared at the white closed door in front of me, letting my thoughts flow. I didn’t know what to think anymore. First Max leaves, now my sister hates me. What else could possible go wrong?

*Max’s POV*

Liz and I, things still were not working. I was ready to give up. We were going to counselling, doing everything they told us to do, we still fought, bickered, nothing was working. My family told me to keep trying, I was done trying, I just wanted Julie back.

Liz was gone and I had the place to myself. I dialled Julie’s number and it went straight to voice mail. She must have her phone off. I called her apartment, no answer. I texted her, and waited to see if I would get a response. Nothing. I tried calling again, voice mail. I was starting to get a bit worried honestly.

I grabbed my coat and threw on a pair of shoes while I grabbed the keys off the endtable. I shut the door behind me and practically ran to my car. I sped through the streets of Pittsburgh, hoping she was home.

I let myself in and went up the flight of stairs to her apartment. First door on the left. I knocked a few times but there was no answer. I sighed and made my way back to my car before a door opened near me and I turned around, to see an older lady.

“Are you looking for Julie Miller?” she asked.
“I am”
“Well son, she left yesterday. Packed up her things quite quickly, without warning, and was gone”
“Really?” I asked, “she’s…gone?”
“She’s gone” she shrugged.
“Did she mention where she was going?” I asked anxiously.
“She never said a word. I’m sorry”
“It’s alright. Thank you” I weakly smiled.

I slowly walked back to my car. She’s gone? She’s really gone. I decided to try my last resort. Ally.

“Hello?”
“Ally, it’s Max”
“And?”
“Do you happen to know where Julie went? The landlady said she was gone”
“Yah she left. She left Pittsburgh all together, she couldn’t be around, with the possibility of running into you. Do you know what that would do to her?”
“Yah…”
“Why am I helping her?”
“What?”
“We just got in a huge fight. I’m pissed off at her, and I’m still trying to help her”
“You mean she’s there…with you?”
She hesitated, “no…”
“She is!” I replied, “where are you?
“I can’t tell you” she sighed.
“Ally…please?”
“Max…I need to go. I’m sorry about what happened between you guys, maybe next time you should think twice about leaving her…” and all I heard was the dial tone.

*Julie’s POV*

I heard talking in Ally’s room. As I moved closer, I heard her talking about me…then I heard his name, Max.

“Were you just talking to Max?” I asked barging through her bedroom door.
“Ever hear of knocking?” she snapped.
“Ally?” I pleaded.
“Yes” she sighed, “he was asking about you. I guess he just found out you’re gone. You never told him?”
“No, cause he would just tell me to stay” I huffed, “this is better for both of us. We can move on with our lives”
“I don’t think you’re going to move on Julie” she said.
“Why?”
“You just barged into my room asking about Max…like a lovestruck teenager”
I just sighed, “Yah”
“Julie…I’ve been thinking, and I’m sorry about earlier. It was a stupid fight…”
“I’m sorry too. I have been being a bit selfish lately”
“Yah so have I” she replied.
I just reached out for a hug and she stood up and wrapped her arms around me.
“Have you talked to Kris?”
“I did” she smiled, “we’re going to see each other when he is in Montreal next. In about a month…we’ll text and call until then” you couldn’t wipe that smile off her face if you tried.
“I’m happy for you” I smiled.
“Thank you” she said.

I gave her another quick hug and went to my bedroom. Seeing her so happy, made me happy, but it also disgusted me in a way. I used to be that happy, I just don’t understand where it could have all went wrong. You know what…I’m going to call him.

I grabbed my phone that I’ve had turned off for the past few days and turned it on. It seems he beat me to the punch. He left 20 messages, 25 text messages, and 35 missed calls. I immediately called him, sick to my stomach with worry.

“Julie” he said with a sigh of relief.
“Are you ok?” I asked, “I know you talked to my sister…”
“Why didn’t you say you were leaving?”
“Because I knew you would beg me to stay” I replied, “I couldn’t stay there…there was too many memories Max”
“Julie, I need to see you”
“Max, right now…I don’t think that’s a very good idea”
“Julie, she’s not making me happy like you, I need you…”
“I think you should have thought of that when you listened to your family…”
I hung up the phone and sat cross legged on my bed, staring at it. If he truly cared, he would call back. I stared at the phone…nothing. Maybe it was best that this was over between us, and he could fix his marriage.

*Max’s POV*

I got back to our place and opened the door. Something didn’t feel right. I looked in the bedroom and all Liz’s things…were gone. I saw a note on the table.

I’m tired of coming in second, you want her, have her… I’m done

I just stared at the note, she was leaving? Great…first I leave Julie, than Liz leaves me, maybe that’s Karma at work. I crumpled up the piece of paper in my hand and tossed it in the garbage. Everything felt…better now. I didn’t love Liz anymore, there was a point when she made me fall head over heels for her everyday. But when I saw Julie, and talked to her. Saw her smile, heard her laugh, looked into her beautiful blue eyes…

Maybe the love of my life is not the one I married, maybe I found her while I was married, maybe it was just bad timing. If that’s true…I couldn’t let her pass me by.

I know I can’t do anything right now. I couldn’t just up and leave, looking all over God’s creation for her. Plus, maybe time is what she needs. As soon as this season is over, when I head home in the summer…I will do everything in my power to see her again. Even if it kills me.

-------------
this is the real thing
love changes everything
if you can just let go ...
-------------

1 comment:

  1. omgggg, loveeee it
    and i'm kinda dying to know what happens with me and kris
    just sayingggg

    ReplyDelete