Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chapter 8

*I was a bit skeptical in posting this. I wasn't sure if it was up to par with my usual. But I decided to anyways, I haven't posted one for this story in a while. I hope you guys enjoy. And remember, commmmmentssss, or no more chapters. Thanks guys!*



I woke up the next morning and smiled as I saw Max beside me. He was out late last night after the big win against the Canadiens. I didn’t see any of the game, I was asleep pretty early. It was the first night I actually got a decent sleep in a while. As I stood up my head got a bit spinny and my stomach turned. I ran to the bathroom and threw up, it was not pretty. I stood back up, still woozy and washed my face and mouth. I still felt like crap and went back towards my bed, Max was already up.
“That didn’t sound good” he said with concern in his voice.
I sat back into bed and pulled the covers up, “I don’t feel so good”
He immediately sat back, “should I be careful?”
“You’ll be fine, I’m sure it’s nothing” I sighed.
“Well I have practice” he said standing up, “I’ll see you after?”
I just nodded as he gently kissed my forehead.

All day I felt awful, I finally got the energy to get up and eat something, I was actually starving and my head was throbbing. I had some cereal and actually felt a tad bit better. I curled up on the couch and watched “You’ve Got Mail” it was a classic, I adored it. It was around 3ish when Max finally came in the door.

“Hey” I said still watching the movie.
“Hey, feeling better?” he said kissing my forehead and walking towards the shower.
“Yes. Good practice?” I asked him.
“I suppose” he replied from the other room, “they asked about Price…again”
“Again?” I asked, when did they ask about him before?
I saw him walk back into the living room with just shorts on. He just looked at me.
“What?”
“Did you see any of the highlights Jules?” he asked.
“None” I replied, “I mostly slept this morning”
“Well, the two of us got into a shouting match, and there was a couple shoves, I got a penalty, which they scored on. After the game they asked me all this shit about Price and whether anything was mentioned about you in our “tussle” if you will” I just smirked as he finished.
“What?” he asked.
“You’re cute when your annoyed” I laughed.
“Well I pride myself on looking good in any mood” he said with a proud smile.
“Wow, you have a big ego” I joked.
“Well thanks” he said sarcastically.

He went back to shower and I stayed in my spot on the couch. I finished my movie and switched over to watch the highlights of the game. I watched to see if Price had anything to say, but it didn’t even look like they talked to him. I wanted to call him, but I would just feel stupid. I stood up to make the effort to take a drive, but my head got spinny again and I sat back down.

“You ok?” Max asked coming into the room.
“I don’t know what’s wrong with me” I told him.
“Why don’t you just relax, all this stress probably isn’t helping” he told me.
“I suppose” I replied.


----------------------------------

For the past few days I was still feeling awful. Max was gone away for a few days on the road as it was getting closer and closer to the playoffs. I was getting suspicious as the symptoms were getting more obvious, was I pregnant? I decided to find out.

I changed into a pair of stretchy yoga pants and black hoodie over my Penguins t-shirt. I pulled my hair into a low ponytail as the curls fell down my face. I put on some makeup to hide the tiredness, it showed. I shoved my feet into my black uggs and grabbed my phone and keys.

I drove myself to the drug store without any problems, the fresh air for once was doing me some good. I walked in and quickly grabbed a pregnancy test. I subtly brought it to the cash and tried to get out of there as quickly as possible. That didn’t happen.

“You look really familiar” the cashier said.
I snapped my head up and glanced around, “oh really?”
“Yah” she said, “but I can’t seem to put a name to the face”
“Oh that’s too bad” I said quickly digging for money.
She told me the price and I handed her the exact change.
“Wait…” she said looking at me one last time, “you’re Julie Miller”
Shit, the cat’s out of the bag.
“I think you have me confused with someone else” I lied smiling nervously.
“No, you’re Julie, I saw the pictures, unless you have a twin somewhere”
“You’re Julie?” I heard a soft voice from behind me.
I turned to see a tall blonde, with green eyes, beautiful, she looked like someone out of a movie. Perfect skin, perfect hair, perfect everything.
“Maybe” I quietly said.
“I’m…Liz” she said it calmly. I almost passed out right there.
“You’re…her…” I had no idea what I was supposed to say.
“You’re…her” she repeated me.
“Yah…”
“I see you might be…” she couldn’t finish it, I’m surprised she hasn’t attacked me yet.
“Possibly…but I don’t know for sure” I said looking down at the ground.
“Are you happy now?” she asked bitterly.
“Excuse me?” I said shooting my head up.
“You’ve ruined my marriage, my life and our happiness”
“Liz…don’t start, I just want to go home…I feel like shit”
“As you should” she was starting to get angrier.
“I meant physically, so just leave me alone”

I tried to walk out but she grabbed my arm and swung me around. Are you serious, Malibu Barbie wants to fight? No thanks.

“Fuck off Liz, if I am pregnant, I’d rather not lose it when it’s barely weeks old”
“Like I care if you lose that baby. That baby should be mine” she said shoving me. My head started to spin and I grabbed onto a nearby post.
“I told you” I said weakly, “just leave me alone”
She wouldn’t let up and took the back of her hand and slapped me across the face. Okay, now she was asking for it. I balled my hand into a fist and used all my energy and punched her square in the jaw and then fell back, almost passing out. A lady ran over and helped me stand up.
“You ok sweetie?” she asked me looking over at Liz, “from what I heard she was being a bitch” she said that last part a bit quieter.
“Not really” I said putting my hand on my face, one of her nails put a huge gash across my right cheek, “I just need to go home. Just keep her away from me” I pointed towards Liz.
She just nodded and responded, “You don’t look so good, maybe you should get to the hospital dear”
“I’m ok, I’m just going home, I need sleep”
“Be careful” she said with worry in her voice.
“Thanks” I smiled back at her.

I drove home and made it without any issues. I walked into the house and threw my phone and keys on the coffee table and went to the washroom. I looked in the mirror as the gash felt worse than it looked. If Max were to find out about this he would go ballistic. I cleaned up the cut, but it was still pretty obvious, there wasn’t much I could do. Max was back tomorrow and this wasn’t going to heal that fast. I gave up and looked in the white plastic bag for the test I just bought.

------------------------------------

Minutes past and they felt like hours as I sat on the floor against the bathtub. My mind was going through so many possibilities. Right now, it would be a blessing if I wasn’t pregnant, but all the signs pointed otherwise, and that scared me.

Finally, it was ready and I quickly jumped up to look. Positive. Oh joy, this was going to go over well with Max. Do you seriously think that this is going to help on the stress of the playoffs and Liz breathing down his neck? I doubt it. How was I supposed to tell him?

I jumped into a warm shower to see if it would help me feel any better. Physically it did, but emotionally, not so much. Every second that got closer to him coming terrified me more. I was afraid of his reaction, what if he was to leave? What if he went back to her? I mean, she’s gorgeous, why would he ever leave someone like that….for me? Why would he want a child…with me? It just didn’t make sense.

--------------------------------------

We had a 30 second phone conversation so he could tell me he was back in Pittsburgh and on his way back. My stomach felt like it was going to explode, my hands wouldn’t stop shaking and my mind was filled with negativity, I hated how he did this to me.

I waited. It felt like hours, but it was only 20 minutes when he finally walked in the door. I smiled at the sight of him and stood up to greet him.

“Hey” he said putting his hand on my cheek and kissing my forehead, “wait”. He looked down at my face and saw the gash Liz had left not 24 hours ago.
“What happened?” he said looking at me with worry in his eyes.
“I had a run in with your wife” I replied.
“How did she know?”
“I was at the drug store and the cashier recognized me, Liz was right behind me”
“Are you ok?” he asked putting both hands on my cheeks this time.
“Don’t worry, I’m more worried about how you’re feeling, I know your temper” I said taking both his hands, “don’t do anything you’ll regret, it could make things worse”
“I won’t” he said, “but you’re ok?”
“I’m fine, but I have something I need to tell you” I replied, getting more nervous by the second.
“What is it?”
“Max, I’m pregnant” I said it bluntly, but quickly. I moved back in anticipation of his reaction. I think he was shocked at first but he wrapped me in a hug and spun me around. I was in shock myself.
“That’s amazing” he said putting me down.
“Seriously?” I asked in shock.
“Why wouldn’t it be?” he could barely contain himself.
“I thought this would add more stress to everything”
“You worry too much” he said, “you need to change that, or you’re going to get too stressed to carry this child”
“Ok…I’ll relax, I guess” I said, I was really confused.
“So what happened with Liz?” he asked, he was interested.
“Long story short, she got pissed, I tried to leave…multiple times, I felt like shit, I almost passed out but she still had it in her to bitch slap me and I punched her in the jaw” I said quickly.
He just looked at me with confusion and let out a light chuckle, “you punched her?”
“You sound surprised” I said moving back to the couch.
“I just never thought of you punching someone” he said.
“I think you brought out the feistier side of me” I said patting his leg as he sat down.
He looked down at my hand and saw the bruise, “well I guess this is proof”
“You better believe it” I said putting my head on his shoulder.
“Julie…I don’t know how I would have gotten through any of this without you” he sighed.
“Same here” I said looking up at him, “I think we can get through this Max”
“I think so too”

I fell more in love with him every single day. I didn’t think it was possible. Sometimes he still gave me butterflies, he still made me weak in the knees and he still consumed my every thought. Right now…nothing was going to ruin this, not if I have any say in it.

3 comments:

  1. loved the update...please update soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. liz got what was coming to her. and aleast max is happy about the baby :)

    ReplyDelete